top of page



  • If your child is aged between 4-17 years of age, s/he is eligible to study in the United Kingdom as a Child Student. If you or your child are over the age of 17, you are eligible to enter and study as a General Student

  • You or your child must study through an accredited School, College or University and be able to cover the costs for tuition and living costs during the course of study

  • While a student visa does not lead to settlement in the United Kingdom, you may be eligible to switch into a different category once you have commenced or completed your studies

Tier 4 Student and Child Student Visas

The UK has always attracted the best and brightest students from around the world. So whether you are seeking to study a short course or degree, you are a child or adult you could meet your aims by studying in the UK.


The most common study visa is the Tier 4 (General) Visas. You can apply for this visa if you are over the age of 16 (if your child is under this age please speak to me about a child student visa) and you:


  • have been offered a place on a course with an accredited sponsor

  • can speak English at the relevant level

  • have enough money to support yourself and pay for your course

  • are from a country outside of the European Economic Area (EEA) 

  • meet the other eligibility criteria


How long can I stay in the UK?


You are permitted to arrive up to 1 week before your course begins if it is a short course (6 months or less) or up to 1 month before your course starts if its a course longer than 6 months. Your length of stay in the UK will depend on the length of your course.


What can and can't I do while in the UK?


You can:

  • study

  • work as a student union sabbatical officer

  • apply from inside or outside the UK

  • apply to extend your stay

  • work in most jobs - depending on what level your course is and what kind of sponsor you have


You can’t:

  • get public funds (benefits)

  • work in certain jobs, for example as a professional sportsperson or sports coach

  • study at an academy or a local authority-funded school


Note: You may be able to bring in family members (dependants such as partner and children) depending upon your course.


Am I eligible to apply?


You must have:

  • an unconditional offer of a place on a course with a licensed Tier 4 sponsor

  • enough money to support yourself and pay for your course (this will depend on what you study and where you decide to study)

  • Sufficient knowledge of the English language (at B1 or B2 depending upon chosen course). There is an exception to this, however, if you have already completed a degree equivalent to a UK degree in certain countries or you are from a majority English speaking nation.


Once you have been accepted onto a Course, the provider will give you a confirmation of acceptance for studies, also known as 'CAS'. This letter and unique reference number will be required when preparing and submitting your application. 


If you or your child wishes to study in the UK, speak to me, a qualified specialist Immigration Solicitor today so that I can guide you through the visa application process.


If having read the above you wish to speak to me, leave your details in the contact form and I will contact you at your preferred time.

Consultations available by Telephone or in person at Birmingham, London or Manchester


Tel: 0121 746 3002

Mob: 0741 037 6881

Thank You. You will be conacted shortly

bottom of page