top of page




  • There are various categories available for persons wishing to enter the UK for short durations of time, usually up to 24 months

  • Applicants must be sponsored by their employers throughout their stay in the UK

  • Applicants must be able to demonstrate that they are able to maintain and accommodate themselves while residing in the UK 

  • Types of applications in this tier vary and include:

    • Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme

    • Tier 5 Charity Worker

    • Tier 5 Creative and Sporting

    • Tier 5 Religious Worker

    • Tier 5 Government Exchange

    • including various others

Tier 2 (General) Visa Now Known as Skilled Worker Visa

There are two main categories within the Tier 2 Route, namely the General and Intra-Company Transfer. The General is, however, more common and it has therefore been examined in more detail below. 


To become eligible under the route you must meet the following requirements:


  • you must have received an offer of employment from a Sponsor who holds a Licence and provided with a certificate of sponsorship (see below for more details)

  • you must be paid an ‘appropriate’ salary in accordance with your position (this is set by the UK Government)

  • you must be able to speak English at the appropriate level (see below)

  • you must have at least £945 in savings unless your A-Rated Sponsor is willing to cover this cost for you (please note if you bring your family members the amount of savings required increases)


What is a Certificate of Sponsorship?


A certificate of sponsorship is an electronic document that contains a unique reference number and information about the position and types of activities you will be doing while in the UK. The certificate is obtained by your sponsor/employer who will already hold an official Sponsorship Licence with the UK Home Office.



What is an appropriate salary?


You will most likely need to be paid at least £25,000 GBP per annum for the work you do, however, in reality, it could be more than this depending on the work you will do. You can check the levels of salary on the website. There are also exceptions to the rule depending upon your circumstances and the type of work you will be doing.



What level of English should I require?



You may be required to prove your proficiency in English when you apply. You can do this by:

You can prove your knowledge of English by either:

  • sitting and passing an approved English language test with at least CEFR level B1 in reading, writing, speaking and listening

  • having an academic qualification that was taught in English and is recognised by UK NARIC as being equivalent to a UK bachelor’s degree, master’s degree or PhD


Furthermore, you may be exempt from the requirements by virtue of being from a majority English speaking nation.

What can and can't I do while in the UK?


You can:


  • take up a second job in the same profession and at the same level as your main job for up to 20 hours per week

  • take up voluntary work

  • commence study, but only if it does not interfere with the job you have been employed to do

  • travel in and out of the UK

  • bring dependent family members with you, such as your partner or children


You cannot:

  • own more than 10% of your sponsor’s shares (there are exceptions to this)

  • receive public funds (benefits)

  • commence work prior to getting your visa decision


If having read the above you require my assistance, please contact me, a Qualified Immigration Solicitor using email, call or leave your contact details below and I will contact you.




If having read the above you wish to speak to me, leave your details in the contact form and I will contact you at your preferred time.

Consultations available by Telephone or in person at Birmingham, London or Manchester


Tel: 0121 746 3002

Mob: 074 1037 6881

Thank You. You will be conacted shortly

bottom of page